Friday, August 9, 2013

Amazing giant gray moth


My facebook friend posted a photo of a giant gray moth. It does not look like a beautiful Atlas moth with patterned wings. It is the first time I saw this kind of moth. Hopefully I will be able to identify this magnificent insect soon!


Here is a side view of the giant moth.


Tentatively IDed as Laothoe populi, or the poplar hawk moth. the irregular wings blend with the leaves of the poplar tree.
Photos courtesy of Vivian BVivian, originally published in Facebook group, Birds, butterflies and everything that flies.



More than four years ago, I was able to capture a giant Atlas moth, with a cell phone camera. Unfortunately, I lost the cellphone in a taxi and I never got to view that photo again. I hope we will see one again at the campus of UP Clarkfield.

For more photos of amazing moths, please visit neatorama: worlds weirdest moths

Reference: Wikipedia article on Laothoe populi

No comments:

Post a Comment