Monday, August 27, 2012

Duranta Erecta, Geisha girl flowers


My australian friend in Facebook posts amazing photos of plants I have not personally seen before. Here is one, called Geisha flowers by my Australian friend. Smaller versions of this plant are called Duranta Repens.


I was surprised that the wiki reference mentioned this attractive plant with beautiful flowers as an invasive species! Moreover, the berries are toxic to dogs but not to birds and butterflies.

More surprises, this past few months, I saw durantas in Sta. Maria, Bulacan. Here is a photo I snapped, I think with my Samsung WB150F camera.







PlantKingdom(Plantae),unranked(Angiosperms, Eudicots, Asterids), order(Lamiales), Family(Verbenaceae), Genus-Species(Duranta Erecta).
Common nameAlba, Aurea, Aussie Gold, Gold Mound, Geisha Girl, Sapphire Showers, Variegata
CameraPanasonic Lumix S3
PhotographerSusan Estrope Dicker
ReferenceWikipedia;
faceysnursery

First image owned by, and published with permission from Susan Estrope Dicker of Australia.


No comments:

Post a Comment